Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Sort and purge

Many of you have recently offered the excellent moving advice: "throw a lot of things away!" Which I am pleased to say that we have managed to do. Things that I have thrown or given away in the past weeks include: several pieces of furniture, an air conditioner, six filing cabinet drawers worth of photocopied journal articles, two years worth of Food & Wine magazine, an old CD player, coffee mugs, pans, old VHS tapes, old cassette tapes, etc. etc.

We even managed to prune our book collection. Look!


The only books we're keeping are the ones in the white boxes. That brown box in the front is full of books for charity. Aren't you proud?

12 comments:

Margaret said...

Um, good job?

BrightStar (B*) said...

I am totally cracking up at the relative size of the purge box in comparison to the rest.

But the list of the things you have gotten rid of is quite long, so excellent job!

Canada said...

Oh, we are literary twins! My husband is appalled by the books that I have, but I purged a few. I figured that I could get rid of my grade 7 math text, and a couple of French novels. But all the history, music history, and English Lit stuff stays, as well as all the books that I will (and have) read again.

Wild Eyed Rose said...

thank you for the ac! you have saved my summer!

Jesse said...

That's a crap load of books. I'm impressed.

betty said...

I don't have quite that many books, but something similar happens when I move. The biggest pile of boxes is always my books. Is your new school paying for your relocation? Probably so, huh? I don't mind packing or unpacking books - but I really hate lugging the boxes around.

Also, isn't it nice to get rid of those photocopied journal articles? I finally got rid of mine too. Except, I saved the first ones I read in my favorite evolution and development class in undergrad because I like looking at the comments I wrote as I was trying so hard to understand what I was reading.

sheepish said...

My condolences at the loss of that box. It must have been tough (and I'm being completely serious too)!

Anonymous said...

OMG... I'm peeing my pants laughing right now. I'm just bummed I missed out on the Food and Wine magazines.

squab said...

You are a woman after my own heart. Every time we move my husband (who is not a reader) says "can't you just get rid of SOME of them?" and I end up with a small box of trashy novels or self help books or something, and we still have 30+ boxes of books to move. It's the disease of the academic - nothing to be done about it!

Arbitrista said...

The bad news is that both Brazen Hussy and I are readers - so our book collection will steadily grow to even more monstrous proportions.

lost clown said...

That's about as many books as I would be able to give away. Books are precious.

Rob Dejournett said...

Gah, this is going to happen when we move. I keep threating wife with fireplace, but she still has 4 bookcases full of books.