Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I sure showed them

Over the weekend, I received my alumni newsletter. Not the one from my undergrad institution, full of announcements about marriages, births, deaths, and other stuff, but the one from my graduate institution. My graduate school was a fairly independent branch of a larger university, and at least 95% of the degrees they grant are PhD's. Which means that the "alumni notes" section was full of tenure-track jobs landed, books published, awards received, cancer cures found, and even one person who finished their degree in 2006 and yet just got a job as an associate dean at Prestigious Liberal Arts College. (How does that happen??) Of course, not all of the announcements were that great; it seemed a bit odd that someone would take the time to send in an announcement that they had one of the most frequently accessed articles in their field in 2005. Regardless, it left me feeling cranky and inadequate.

So I burned the newsletter in the fireplace. I felt much better.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new template BTW. I'd mail them the ashes back!

sab said...

Burn, baby burn! Who needs/wants to read all that crap?? Who THINKS you want to read all that crap???

RageyOne said...

Sounds like a good strategy to me! I bet that fire was just lovely to see, wasn't it? ;~)

comebacknikki said...

Whoo-hoo!

The only things I ever get from my grad school are solicitations for money. Poo on them.

Canada said...

I don't think my grad school remembers that I exist! Which is fine - they have enough money, and I don't plan on sending them any. :)

Wol said...

Burn it, burn it, burn it. When I get my alumni newsletters, I look through them quickly with a knot in my stomach, hoping not to see pages and pages covered with gloopy news about classmates I'd rather forget. THen I stuff them deep in the trash and take it out the same night.

Weird how we all have these rituals.

lost clown said...

Good for you!

Psycgirl said...

Ugh, you apparently went to Overachiever's U. They're setting the bar way too high. Good for you for burning the thing.

David said...

i really like it