Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday Bird Blog


Just a quickie before I leave for the weekend -

With all the snow on the ground, we can see just how many birds come to our feeder.

4 comments:

betty said...

ok this might sound ingnorant or stupid, but - i thought birds walked, like with one foot in front of the other, y'know? but looking at this picture it seems like they must hop around instead - both feet at the same time. am i crazy? do they always hop?

Canada said...

Happily, there are no scuffle marks/feathers/cat tracks! Have a great weekend.

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Betty - not a stupid question at all! Birds are pretty diverse, and some groups of birds like ducks or chickens usually walk with one foot in front of the other. I think many (most? all?) passerine species, like the sparrows and cardinals that come to my feeder, are hoppers. Passeriformes is the largest bird order and extremely diverse, so I'm hesitant to say whether or not that's true for all of them. But I think it's related to whether the species is more dependent on flight or walking on the ground.

Canada - there actually were some cat tracks but they're not in the picture! As far as I know, the gray cat in the neighborhood hasn't gotten any birds at our feeder... at least, I hope not!

Silk Stocking said...

Have fun getting away! (I just came back, but I want to get away again anyway).