Yesterday morning I was walking down one of our trails checking the bird traps. Suddenly, ahead of me, I heard something running through the forest. Deer, I thought. There are a lot of deer here and we see them every day. But then I caught a glimpse of whatever they were, and they were too small to be deer. We had seen a car parked on the road, indicating hikers were around - was it people? No, people can't move that fast through forest. So I stood and waited to see what it was.
And then, these two... things... appeared on the trail ahead of me, and continued running across the trail and back into the forest. These things were so unlike what my brain was expecting that I could not process what they were at first.
They were turkeys. Freakin' turkeys. Scared the crap out of me.
Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes (Mounds Cupcakes)
23 hours ago

8 comments:
This is awesome - an artist friend of mine was collecting plants to draw the other day in the woods and she too was scared shitless by some wild turkeys. Must be the season for scary turkeys. What a wonderful coincidence.
Oh, cool! I love seeing turkeys! They're always about twice the size I expect, especially when the males are strutting their stuff.
That's hilarious.
I remember when Geekman and I were on our honeymoon in the Cook Islands, we went hiking a lot in the bush, and there were these random kamikaze chickens that would suddenly launch themselves at you from out of a tree, squawk a lot, and then dash off into the undergrowth out of sight. In the middle of the freaking rainforest. So totally unexpected.
I imagine with turkeys it would be twice as freaky, because those things are huge.
mmm wild turkey
wait. Isn't that nasty?
That's awesome.
Teehee. Once I was taking dressage lessons and the horses were kind of freaking out. We assumed it was the plastic bag caught flapping in a low tree. But when my instructor went to remove the bag, the biggest wild turkey I've ever seen came running out into the arena. The horses were like, "HOLY SHIT! GET ME OUT OF HERE!" And the turkey was all, "HOLY SHIT! GET ME OUT OF HERE!" So that was, um, not very fun for those of us trying to remain on the horses' backs. Big, spooky, dumb animals, they are.
Apparently a flock of wild turkeys lives on one of the freeway onramps near campus.
Be careful out there! Spring turkey hunting season starts soon.
HAHAHA! I was driving to work the other day and, without my glasses on, it looked like there was an emu on the side of the road. Turns out it was the LARGEST turkey I've ever seen. It was the same size as emu, and I will swear to this on my grandmother's grave. I tried to take a picture with my camera phone, but the stupid technology was too slow.
Post a Comment