Is it just me, or is every female blogger out there pregnant right now?? [But NOT ME, don't worry!!] Thus, Kelly has requested some nonalcoholic drink suggestions to get her through the next several months. Sorry, Kelly, I'm pretty sure a virgin martini is impossible, but I found a couple of tasty-looking beverages in that nonalcoholic chapter at the back of one of my cocktail books. I'm afraid I can't be bothered to buy all these juices (every time I buy juice, most of it rots in the fridge), so why don't some of you reproductively active ladies try these out and report back to us? I'll be here, sipping my Scotch. (Caol Ila, if you were wondering.)
Faux Kir Royale
I would totally drink this. If I couldn't have any alcohol, that is.
Pour 1 measure chilled raspberry syrup into a champagne flute. Top up with white grape juice or sparkling apple juice.
Juicy Julep
According to my cocktail book, the word "julep" comes from the Arabic word for a rose syrup, and "it seems likely that this was always intended to be a nonalcoholic drink and that it was bourbon-drinkers who hijacked the term, not the other way around."
1 measure orange juice
1 measure pineapple juice
1 measure lime juice
1/2 measure raspberry syrup
4 crushed fresh mint leaves
ginger ale, to top off
Pour everything except ginger ale into a shaker over ice; shake vigorously and strain into a chilled Collins glass. Top off with ginger ale and stir gently.
Italian Soda
A classic!
Pour 1 1/2 ounces hazelnut syrup (or other Italian syrup) into a tall glass over ice. Fill with sparkling mineral water. Stir gently and garnish with a lime slice.
Mocha Slush
This would be good with some Kahlua.
Put 4-6 ice cubes into a blender with 2 oz coffee syrup, 1 oz chocolate syrup, and 4 oz milk. Blend until slushy. Pour into a chilled goblet and sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
No alcohol? NO ALCOHOL?
does. not. compute.
Yeah, I'd noticed that pregnancy thing. What's going on?
Do you have a recipe for a chocolate martini, with booze?
Ugh. Not that I am not happy for everyone, but given recent events, I am REALLY looking forward to the baby boom being over. Like yesterday. In the mean time, I think it's time for a BEER (with alcohol).
Juice rots in your house? I drink a bottle of juice like the same day I open it. I'm a juice addict. Never drink that "water" stuff though. I'm highly suspicious of that stuff.
Can I tell you an 'ew?' At the pub quiz like 2 weeks ago I asked for a mint julep and they made it like a friggin' mojitio but with bourbon! And then they got mad when I told them that that wasn't a mint julep. And they still charged me for it. So I didn't say anything when they didn't charge us for our food last week. Jerks.
Seriously, we're really annoying. Even I think it's annoying :) (not that you do, I'm just saying I'd understand if someone *did* think it was annoying).
That said, I had my first glass of wine the other day in like 5 months (I had one on our anniversary in Dec...so sue me). It was a riesling, from the same valley in Germany that I went to a conference in last year...mmmm.
Ianqui- you are certainly not annoying! And I do have to say that I think people are way too anal about drinking and pregnancy in this country. I'm not advocating drinking during pregnancy, but I think a glass of wine on a special occasion is not a big deal. I tried a sip or two from someone's beer when I was pregnant and it tasted AWFUL- like chemicals. I never tried any wine, though.
These sound good -- I may try them.
And Addy N, I, too, think people are way too anal about it in this country (the whole "ban" is probably from the belief that people cannot self-regulate on this issue). I've had a sips of champagne, wine, and beer on 4-5 occasions so far. The champagne tasted OK, but I knew I couldn't handle more than a sip (something was definitely off). The beer was refreshing on a very hot day, but again I knew one sip was enough. The wine was awful. For the most part I find myself missing the stuff in concept, but the second I think about having a glass the desire just goes away.
And I never liked fruity drinks in the past and now I can't get enough. Have had gallons of lemonade.
I agree that the "ban" on drinking during pregnancy is mostly paranoia and doesn't make good sense for everyone. That being said, the social pressure to not drink is ENORMOUS. I find it much the same in New Zealand as I remember from pregnant friends in the US.
Profgrrrl, I'm the same way with fruity/juicy/sweet drinks. I replaced my nightly glass of wine with either juice or lemonade (=Sprite/7-Up in NZ, not Country Time). I have had a major shift from savory to sweet in most things including my breakfast choices. I haven't tried beer or wine yet to know whether they taste "off" to me.
Brazen - THANK YOU for posting these recipes! I'll be sure to try them, though I will have to track down some raspberry or coffee or chocolate syrup.
I do wish there were some way to make a virgin martini, though. I knew it was a long shot... ;)
Mmmm ... that julep sounds yummers. I might try it. My experience has been like profgrrrl's - I *think* I want the booze, and I'm not opposed to drinking during gestation, but I usually can only take one or two sips. Of course, that might have something to do with the MASSIVE NAUSEA. Sigh.
Post a Comment