Monday, May 18, 2009

Balancing work and... more work

Today is the beginning of my field season. For this project, I'm sampling whatever species I can catch, so my fieldwork is awesome - run some mistnets, catch some birds, try to identify them. It's so much more fun than targeting a particular species. But it's also fairly low-key, and I only catch in the mornings, and I can't really justify just doing fieldwork for the next few weeks. And I don't want to - I'm very excited about the momentum of my writing. So I have decided to start my field days at 8 am, rather than at sunrise, and keep 6 am for my writing time. It worked for today, although this afternoon is kind of a loss because I'm more tired than I expected. I imagine I'll get used to this in a few days and be able to some work in the afternoons, though I don't expect to do a whole lot. As long as I'm able to keep up writing for 30 minutes in the morning I will feel very good about it.

A bonus feature of my fieldwork: I'm not great at identifying birds, so I take a picture of every bird so that I can check it against field guides and my expert friends. This means that occasionally I can share photos of pissed-off birds with you! Today's angry bird: the yellow-breasted chat.

6 comments:

Kendra Leonard said...

"I'm sampling whatever species I can catch" made me think for a minute, "Yum! All those interesting species." Then I remembered that 1) you're not talking about dinner, and 2) I'm a vegetarian.
I like the angry bird photo. Will "Angry Birds I Have Known" become a regular blog feature?
Good luck with you work!

Tara Kuther said...

What a pretty (angry) birdie!

Sisyphus said...

Angry Bird says, "Grawk! Awk! Not the menacing hand again!!!!"

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Lovely pissed off bird!

Belle said...

I'm wondering why, with pissed off birds with beaks like that, all fingers are shielded!

Ianqui said...

Sometimes I wish I had gone into a field involving the study of birds. Not only do you get to see tons of new birds, but you get to hold them too!