Saturday, May 23, 2009

Writing: Week 2 Review

The generative writing method is working great. I have produced a lot of writing the last two weeks. The part where I'm balking, however, is taking what I have written already and shaping it into a real draft. That's not something I feel up to doing at 6 in the morning, and in the afternoons I don't feel like it either. Right now my mornings (8-12) are spent doing fieldwork; unfortunately that's the best time for me to do writing & thinking work too. I can't switch fieldwork to the afternoons because I won't catch any birds that way. I've decided to only do fieldwork Monday-Thursday, leaving Friday for other things. Hopefully that will work for me.

In other news, The Paper That Just Won't Die is no longer my problem! No, I didn't finish it. But Co-Author #1 (we were actually doing the asterisks and equal contribution thing; my name was first because I was writing it) suggested combining it with another paper of his. I said HELL YES, TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME. This will switch author order but we will keep the asterisks. I don't care anymore, I just don't want to deal with it. It makes a lot of sense, actually, because the two papers rely on each other so why not put them together and make a stronger paper. And I can finally move on with my life. Woo hoo!

Even the disgruntled grackle thinks it's a good idea.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

I hear ya about putting things together in a draft. I have problems with making major changes to things, and having to change the order and such. You're doing awesome though, and it sounds like you have a plan of attack.

And Congrats for being done with the paper that just won't die!!

These bird pictures make me giggle :)

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Wow, you have one crazy schedule!

That bird looks like it would peck. Does it ever bite/stab you with its beak?

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Thanks!

To my surprise, the grackle bite didn't hurt that much. Of course, after a day spent sampling 30 cardinals in cages - and spending that evening nursing a bitten, swollen hand - no bird bite seems that bad.

Albatross said...

So the grackle has a bark worse than his bite?

Congrats on getting the paper off your desk. Sounds like a great plan!

Leslie M-B said...

Congrats on unloading the paper.

I am LOVING your angry bird series!