Tuesday, June 09, 2009

TOO MUCH!

I am so busy lately my mind is failing me. I even posted the wrong bird picture yesterday. (I fixed it.) I thought summers were supposed to be nice and easy-going. HA. Here, in no particular order, is a list of things I am supposed to be doing, like, yesterday:
  • Catching a lot of birds
  • Extracting RNA - DELEGATED!
  • Reviewing not one but TWO papers, the first of which had been in review for 52 days already by the time I was requested to review it, the second of which is required to be completed in 10 days
  • Revising and resubmitting a paper - I get three months and the first of those months has disappeared already
  • Supervising an REU student doing behavioral experiments in the aviary
  • Training a research tech on molecular techniques
  • Hiring and training a new lab tech
  • Keeping the lab running (I am particularly failing at this one, as we keep running out of things that we've never run out of before and for some reason the Radioactive Waste people are either not getting my pickup requests or ignoring them)
  • Writing an hour-long talk to give in two weeks
  • Writing a final report for a grant
  • Writing an NSF grant to be submitted next month
  • Running microsats for 26 birds that, for some idiotic reason, I left out when I was doing microsats for a gazillion other birds and now I only need those 26 birds - DELEGATED!
  • Oh, and writing that paper.
None of this seems to be getting done in a satisfactory period of time, my house is a mess, there's no food in the refrigerator, and I think my laundry from two days ago is still in the washer. And my dog crapped on the floor today but there's TWO dogs now and I don't know which one did it.

I need a drink. And a bath. And a personal assistant.

I feel as whiny as this juvenile downy woodpecker.

7 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

Wow! You are busy!!!

I agree. Draw a bath and pop a top.

Sisyphus said...

Hire me! Hire me! I'm unemployed and could be a personal assistant! I could even help with yer lab stuff --- my sis is a safety officer at a biotech company, and I worked in glasswash there for a week and I could probably do ordering of things, or at least properly dump the radioactive liquids...ok, maybe not. I could file your MSDSs for you though!

Momoc HDR Photography said...

hi, i like people who take a good care of animals. Please be good to them, dont harm them. Like my cat, now he is a 3 legged cat because of people who stupid enough to beat a cat.

HOBO HANDBAG

:(

stepwise girl said...

Good luck! (maybe a bit more rain will fix it?) (ok, maybe not)

Belle said...

Yikes. You're gonna need a summer to recover from your summer!

Musey_Me said...

I love the bird pics. Hang in there - at least it's all good stuff!

JaneB said...

Yeah, wouldn't a personal assistant be nice?? Hang in there - it will get better