Monday, January 25, 2010

The End is Near

I have been blogging less and less lately, and the blog is becoming a source of stress rather than fun. My pseudonymity is hanging by a thin thread, as blog readers put 2 and 2 together and find out who I am, and people I know in real life put 1 and 3 together and find the blog. I'd love to blog about my job search, but after last year's outcry of OMG UR DOIN IT RONG, plus the aforementioned pseudonymity problem, I'm just not comfortable doing that now.

I was going to wait until I got a tenure-track job. Or until my blog's 5-year anniversary this June, whichever came first. Either way, I had planned to shut this thing down soon.

I'm not going to do it just yet. I'll stick around and let you know how the job search turns out this year. I'll also talk a little bit about my super-secret research & writing blog and see if any of you are interested in forming a super-secret writing support group with me. I'll still be reading and occasionally commenting on your blogs. But this blog isn't going to be around much longer.

32 comments:

SP said...

I have really enjoyed your blog. Good luck with your job search!

Seeking Solace said...

Whoa! OK, I am shocked. But, I also understand. I've been having some privacy issues too.

I might be interested in the writing blog. It might be the kick in the butt I needed to get writing.

Keep us posted on the other stuff! And stop by my blog when you can.

Alyssa said...

Aw, that's too bad :( I completely understand though, especially when it becomes more of a chore than anything else, and you're having issues with privacy.

I have enjoyed reading your blog, and I look forward to any updates you post about your job search (good luck!).

ernise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Busylizzy111 said...

Good luck with the job search!
I'd love the writing support group...

chall said...

I understand but think it is sad. I have enjoyed reading here.

I hope you can find an outlet for something (maybe password?). I hope not to have to end up that way but then I am not that intersteing, but I hope my family doesn't find it and my work friends never even know to look.

I look forward reading about your job search and wish you the best in the future!

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Sorry to hear it, because your color commentary is always great, but I understand completely. Good luck with the ongoing job search!

ScienceGirl said...

:( but understandable :(

A writing support group does sound interesting though!

Good luck with the job search!

Janice said...

Good luck with your job search. As someone who was squeezed out of a previous blogging identity due to sharing with some RL people and being discovered by others, I understand how stressful that can be. Not worth the hassle!

RageyOne said...

Sorry to see you go. Really enjoyed reading over the years.

best of luck!

Brigindo said...

I agree with the others. It will be a loss to the blogosphere but I totally understand. Do let us know about the writing support group....sounds like a great idea.

Kendra Leonard said...

Noooo! I'll miss reading your posts and seeing the angry bird photos and everything else. If you use FB and ever friend blog readers, I'm there.

JaneB said...

Awww, I'll really miss you! Good luck with the job hunt and, yes, I would love to join a super-secret writing support group - my email is mollimog at gmail dot com

TheDiversePhD said...

It's such a shame people keeping finding out who you are :( I enjoy your blog very much. I wish you the best as you job hunt.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Oh man, you and Mad Hatter in the same week? That sucks. But I think we all understand the reasons.

Good luck with the job search! Let us know if you decide to start any other online ventures!

Super Babe said...

:( I *think* I understand why (especially the identity and the stress vs. fun of writing part)... but... but... whyyyyy??? I've enjoyed reading your blog ever since being a misunderstood woman for not changing my last name!!!

Perhaps you could keep blogging about drinks? Non-work things?

Good luck with the job search!

stepwise girl said...

Good luck with the job search!

I'll miss your blog, and hope to follow you in other places if you decide to open some!

Best,

Anonymous said...

I'll miss reading your blog -- but cultivating teh pseudonymity is a worthwhile task, especially when you're on the market.

Good luck with the job search!

ScienceWoman said...

I totally and completely understand, but still sad. :(

Angela said...

Your blog is a great read but I understand why you feel you need to let it go. Good luck with looking for jobs!

PhysioProf said...

It's a shame that people intentionally try to figure out the identity of pseudonymous bloggers. I suspect that most of those who pull that shit are ego-impaired creeps who are pissed off that pseuds have more credibility based solely on what they write than the ego-impaired creeps can secure with their "real-world credentials".

Musey_Me said...

Bummer - I always enjoy reading. I'm glad you will at least stay around long enough to let us know about the job hunt!

Silk Stocking said...

sniffle

Uyin said...

I agree with PhysioProf..

Cheers!
come and get me

Ms.PhD said...

I'd join your group. email me at yfsblog at gmail. and we have other things in common - but I won't write them here because I want to keep blogging, at least for now. I totally understand how you feel.

Leslie M-B said...

If you'll have a humanist in your writing group, I'd love to join.

I'll miss your blog. It's been awesome. (The angry birds especially.)

Boomsbury said...

You'll be missed. : (

comebacknikki said...

DON'T LIKE! :(

Sisyphus said...

Waaah! Couldn't you have a fancy-drink- and bitching-only blog? With occasional dog pictures? We'll miss you and all your fun!

I totally understand about how it's hard to write about the job market pseudonymously, though. Good luck and hope to see you on teh interwebs somewhere else!

Maude said...

my comments will just simply ditto everyone else. I like Sisyphus's idea.

:( but do what's best for you.

i'd totally be interested in writing group thing even though i'm nowhere near your field, so i don't know if my presence would detract from the purpose, but should you decided to do it, i'm down.

fBm said...

I've enjoyed you're commentary. Hope the job interviews go well. And thanks for the drink recipe.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Boo! But I understand.

If you're open to folks from other fields in a writing group, let me know.