I was hoping to know definitively whether or not I got a job this round by now, but I do not. Sigh.
But not everything sucks. Here is a list of good things, partly just to remind myself that not everything sucks:
- My promotion to "Research Scientist" has been officially approved. Even if I don't get a tenure-track job, I am no longer a postdoc.
- I finally finished a paper that has been plaguing me for YEARS. I have grown to loathe this paper. I sent it to my co-authors on Friday. WOO HOO!
- My big 'Omics project is really and truly underway.
- A behavior study that I have been planning for quite awhile is getting underway.
- My work was featured on some science websites recently, as was a little interview with me about being a scientist.
- I am planning a short trip to the field in the western half of the country sometime next month, which should be fun.
I have decided to behave as if I am not getting a job this time around, and am moving on with things. I am trying to re-focus my brain. It's great to have that paper out of the way (although it won't truly be out of the way until it is is submitted) so now I can turn my attention to things like resubmitting my NSF proposal, and writing new and even more exciting papers. I have two papers that have already been published in 2010, and I am aiming to have two more submitted by the end of the year, as well as this grant that I really believe can get funded this time around. Might as well take advantage of the fact that I am here for another year, right?
3 comments:
Those are all *excellent* things, plenty to focus on and enjoy while waiting for news. Congratulations, Dr. Research Scientist.
Awesome news!!!! Cheers!!!
If you haven't heard yet, take that as a "no news is good news" sign. If you were definitely out, you would have heard back by now.
Good luck - limbo sucks, but it sounds like you are doing everything exactly right. You're getting lots of PR, you have a stable situation as a backup plan for now, you're making time to have fun, and you're staying focused on being productive.
I hope you get something this round, but everyone has been trying to console me by saying it was a particularly crappy year. Of course I don't have a stable situation so I'm much worse off than you are. Hopefully you won't ever need to deal with what I'm going through.
Hope you get good news soon!
Post a Comment