Thursday, July 22, 2010

A breakup letter

Dear Tenure-Track Job Search,

You and I have been together a long time. We've had our good times... but mostly bad times. You always promise me that it will be different this time, that it will all work out and we will live happily ever after. But then you turn around and disappoint me yet again.

Well, I am done with you. I have just been offered an amazing job, one that I think is far better than anything you could have gotten me. I'll be directing a huge new research center at a big R1 university. I will be respected, and paid well, and will have a beautiful office. I'll get to do my own research. I will work with famous, influential scientists who apparently think I am awesome. I won't have to deal with any undergraduate students... probably ever.

In a few years' time, I may look you up again. Maybe things will be different next time. But for now, this is goodbye.

Love and greener pastures,
Dr. Brazen Hussy

38 comments:

Dr. Crazy said...

Congrats on the job! It sounds pretty wonderful (a heck of a lot more wonderful than my t-t job :P)

Nat Blair said...

Yay, that sounds awesome.

Congratulations.

Brigindo said...

Congratulations. It sounds like an awesome position.

Belle said...

Congratulations indeed! Yay you! Does this entail another move?

Ms.PhD said...

Congrats! And I totally agree. TTJS is a big fat liar.

I look forward to reading your blog posts about the new position and how things unfold. I hope they won't treat you like a core facility director.

Alyssa said...

Oooh!!! This sounds incredibly awesome! Congratulations, and SCREW TTJS!!

post-doc said...

I'm so happy for you! Congratulations and many wishes for much success.

Janice said...

That sounds like a great job. I'll bet that t-t job search is crying into a mug of draft right now, don't you think?

Kendra Leonard said...

Congrats! That sounds fantastic.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Good for you - the TT job search is a real jerk and doesn't deserve the wonderful you.

I'm jealous philosophy doesn't have labs... sigh.

Ianqui said...

Wow, that sounds wonderful! Congratulations.

Julia said...

Awesome! Congratulations! :)

biochem belle said...

Congrats! Wishing you tons of awesomeness and happiness in your new job!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Sounds like an awesome job!

PhysioProf said...

w00t!

Musey_Me said...

Congratulations!!! This sounds like a great opportunity.

undine said...

Congratulations on the new awesome job!

Seeking Solace said...

Yippie!!!! Cheers!!!!

Super Babe said...

And of course, the super P.S. "I will get to finally meet the awesome Dr. Super Babe" :) Congratulations again!

Psycgirl said...

Congratulations!

Twice said...

Congrats! It sounds awesome!

Leslie M-B said...

This is such awesome news. Congrats!

Rebecca said...

Oh, way to go! I am SO very happy for you. Best of luck in what sounds like an incredibly fabulous new job.

Rebecca said...

Oh, way to go! I am SO very happy for you. Best of luck in what sounds like an incredibly fabulous new job.

Ellie said...

Lucky, lucky you. Do enjoy.

Kate said...

WOW. That's awesome. Congratulations!!!

Tara Kuther said...

Hurray!! Congrats!

Maude said...

Congratulations!! That is so awesome! And can I say that I'm a wee bit jealous. And while I haven't made the move to scotch yet, the SB drinks it, so when he gets back, I'll have him raise a glass of scotch in honor of you, and of course, I'll drink to you many times before then though. :)

Sisyphus said...

Oooh! Congrats!

unknown said...

Huge Congratulations!!!!!! Good luck on your upcoming move.

jo(e) said...

Congratulations!

Candid Engineer said...

Awesome, glad to hear it!

Ling.Lass said...

Excellent news! That is such a good resolution to the job search. Congratulations!

comebacknikki said...

Woo-hoo!! :)

JaneB said...

That sounds awesome! I am jealous - faculty jobs suck (this week, at least)

Terminal Degree said...

Great news...congratulations!

RageyOne said...

Oh! Congrats to you! That is super awesome! Just now reading your news (I'm SO behind!).

Mad Chemist Chick said...

Congrats and enjoy it!