The first day that I got to get out of the hotel, I went to Wat Phnom, a temple right next to my hotel. Wat Phnom has a lovely story and it goes like this: One day, an old woman named Penh found four buddhas washed up on the banks of the Mekong. She built a temple on a hill to house them. The temple was called "Wat Phnom", which means "Hill Temple", and the city Phnom Penh (meaning "Penh's Hill") was thus founded. This hill, by the way, is the only hill in Phnom Penh. And it's very small.
Anyway, although this temple is a bit of a tourist attraction, it functions more as a place where local people go to pray for luck. And it was pretty much the only place I visited that allowed cameras inside.
Here's some photos of the temple:



While standing outside the temple taking pictures, a cute little black kitten rubbed against my legs and meowed. I petted the little kitty.

A second later, something ran up behind me and grabbed my leg, and the kitten started hissing and screeching.

The monkey came after me a second time, and I think he bit me the second time but it didn't break the skin. I think he thought I was feeding the kitten... commenter Holly beat me to it yesterday, but I planned to say: NEVER feed the monkeys! It makes them absolutely horrible. Macaques are pretty nasty creatures as it is. I have now been attacked or otherwise molested by three different species of them (and it wasn't my fault, I swear.)
Anyway, I was unharmed so I continued on. First thing I noticed as I descended the hill was an odd screeching sound. I look up and notice a large tree full of... bats!

On to the Royal Palace compound, which also has the Silver Pagoda. It is called the silver pagoda because the floor is tiled with large silver tiles. Most of the tiles were covered with rugs, but in some areas you could see the tiles. Silver is not a good choice for tiling a floor... you could feel the tiles under the rug. Cameras were not allowed inside but here are some pictures of the outdoors.




And then I was tired and soaked in sweat, so I took a "tuk-tuk" back to the hotel.

The next day I visited the National Museum, which was really impressive, but again didn't allow cameras inside. Here's what it looked like from the outside:


The museum was full of nearly 2000 years worth of stone sculpture, much of it from Angkor Wat. The sculpture was very beautiful and remarkably consistent throughout the centuries - and much better than what was going on in Europe at some points in time. The museum is very nicely set up and informative, and if you're ever in Phnom Penh I highly recommend a visit. Also, they are preparing for a Rodin exhibit later this year - apparently it's the 100th anniversary of his visit to Cambodia, and they're going to do an exhibit of his paintings and drawings.
The area around the museum is full of little shops, with people working on their crafts out on the sidewalk. There were many people making absolutely stunning stone sculptures that were replicas of the works I saw in the museum. If there was any way I could have gotten a giant stone Buddha home, I would have.
All in all, I really liked Phnom Penh. It was much pleasanter to walk around alone than anywhere in Indonesia. I was generally left alone (in Indonesia, you're pretty much a celebrity), and when people did address me, I was "madame" instead of "Hello Mister". The French colonial background makes for some interesting juxtapositions (I won't say "land of contrasts"). I must have drank gallons of Bordeaux, alongside delicious curries. You can generally get by ok with just English, although it's nice to try to speak a little Khmer. And they take US dollars as one of the currencies.
I have warned Publius that if we are ever forced into exile, Phnom Penh is high on this list of possible relocation sites.

12 comments:
Nice photos
All I can say is wow....wow. So freaking cool!
I'm so glad you had such a lovely time. And that the monkeys didn't break your skin.
very nice pictures. i'm jealous. well, maybe except for the monkey. i'd have flipped out if a monkey attacked my leg. and then fled the scene for sure. do you think this one was so icky because of being fed by humans or was this a display of their base ickiness and feeding them makes them worse than this?
Too bad that gigantic stone lion didn't start roaring at the monkey. That woulda shown the little bugger.
Gorgeous photos!
Silver floors - interesting choice. Maybe you should avoid regions with larger primates since you seem to attract attack monkets. Baboons, chimps, and gorillas - could be bad news!
The pics are great!
Awesome pics! But I think the monkey would have been airborne if he attached MY leg!
Love your photos and visit synopsis!! Your conclusion about it being a decent place to be forced into exile is making me rethink the logic of not moving there with my husband when he had the opportunity to work for the english language daily newspaper there. I was the big chicken shit. Maybe I would have liked it? Would you really *live* there??
Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing.
The architecture is phenomenal (no pun intended) and so gorgeously colorful. I love color!
Nice of you to pet the kitty. Monkeys are bad! Every monkey I've ever seen on TV or such has been mean or nasty. Gives the Apes a bad rap, eh?
Sounds like you had a marvelous time, dahling.
Fantastic! It looks so wonderful. The monkey sounds scary, I bet publius would have shoo'd it away for you ;-)
Post a Comment