Wednesday, November 01, 2006

No excuses

It's November. And that means that today I have to start GETTING THINGS DONE. If Dr. Crazy can find time for writing and research with a 4/4 teaching load, then I have NO. FREAKING. EXCUSE. Crap.

So, today is the day that I try to figure out how I will fit in the writing/reading time. When I was working on my dissertation, I wrote in the morning. Not first thing - first, I had to have coffee and check email and shower and do 30 minutes of yoga. So I usually got to work around 10:00 am. And I forced myself to sit there for a minimum of 2 hours whether I liked it or not. And it worked - nearly every day, after sitting there long enough I would start writing. I wrote my dissertation in about three months, writing in the mornings on Tuesday through Friday (I taught on Mondays and I refuse to work on the weekends). I don't know how I'm going to make it work now. Obviously I can't work at that rate, because I have other things that need doing, and the dissertation writing was so intense that I was pretty much useless for anything else.

But I do have tangible deadlines now. I looked up the NSF guidelines for the grant cluster I want to apply to, and the next deadline is January 12. I think that's just about perfect. And I am presenting a talk on the phylogenetics paper (the last damn unpublished chapter from my dissertation - but it needs a lot of work) at a conference in early January as well. So these two things will need substantial work in the next two months, which sounds a little scary but with the deadlines to motivate me, I can get it done. Deadlines are good.

4 comments:

Arbitrista said...

I'll miss you honey!

betty said...

deadlines suck, but they are useful. good luck!

Dr. Crazy said...

What Betty said about deadlines being useful. The only way I've gotten anything done is because I create situations in which I *have* to get things done or I'll look like a fool. I'll send some good writing vibes your way :)

Ms.PhD said...

2 hours of writing a day is a good habit to keep. If I didn't do time-dependent benchwork, I would definitely do that. I may have to try it as an experiment for my next grant, but I'll just have to get up 2 hours earlier. Ugh.

Thanks for being motivated and setting a good example!