Tuesday, January 23, 2007

How I got my postdoc

Short version: I begged.

I have mentioned before that my degree, while in a "Biological -ology", is not in Biology, and my research interests were not well suited to the -Ology that I was in. I applied to 41 jobs during last year's job search, and I got several interviews. In some of those interviews, people said something like, "That's very interesting, but what does it have to do with -Ology?" Indeed. My prospects for a tenure-track position in -Ology were not looking good.

I had approached several -Ologists about postdoctoral research ideas I had. Most of them were interested, but did not have the funding for a postdoc. They were willing to help me apply for funding, but that could take a year or more and I needed a job, damn it.

I started to think seriously about getting out of -Ology and into real Biology. My research interests are better suited to different animals than the ones I was studying, anyway. Then I saw this job listing. It's basically a glorified lab manager position that the PI has turned into a decently-paid, department-supported postdoc. And it's on birds - which are the perfect study animals for my research interests.

Two minor problems: I didn't know nothin' 'bout birds. And it's an endocrinology lab, and I knew just about nothin' 'bout hormones. But I wasn't going to let that stop me. I sent my CV with a detailed, enthusiastic letter about why I wanted the job and how I could be useful to her.

I didn't hear back, but I decided that this was the job I wanted, and damn it, I was going to get it. So about a week later, I wrote another email. In this one, I wrote that I wanted to re-emphasize how interested I was in this position, and that I realized that I seemed like an odd candidate. But I laid out explicity why I wanted to switch fields, and why I thought this job opportunity was perfect for me. Then I spent a couple of paragraphs explaining how amazingly wonderful I am and why she should hire me. This was agonizingly difficult to write.

But it worked. She wrote back. Then we started emailing back and forth. Then she called me. Then she hired me.

Before I wrote that second email, she had already picked someone for the job (but had not made an offer). By sending that forceful and enthusiastic email, I made her rethink. A few weeks after I started the position, I noticed my CV sitting on her desk. I picked it up, curious, and discovered that underneath it was the CV of the other person. She would have been perfect for the job. I felt a tiny bit bad for awhile, but hey, sometimes you gotta fight. Academia isn't pretty.

As I've noted before, the job is going well. My boss is very happy with her decision. In addition to learning endocrinology, I did bring new skills to her lab (my genetics background - which the other job candidate didn't have), and I am doing exciting new research. And I think that I am well-situated for landing a tenure-track job in Biology when I am done here, assuming I use my time well and live up to my potential (no pressure!).

The moral of the story is, if you want a job (postdoc or otherwise), you've got to work as hard as you can to sell yourself. You need to get their attention and set yourself apart. And enthusiasm never hurts.

Submitted for the The Carnival of What's Up Postdoc?

6 comments:

Arbitrista said...

But honey, don't you miss being an adjunct? :)

Ianqui said...

Good for you! Nothing wrong with being a little cutthroat.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really enjoyed your story. Being not feisty/aggressive/enthusiastic enough has always been the fatal flaw in my negotiation skills. I know I give up way too easily. Your story inspired me. Please keep telling stories like that!

Oh, and good luck with the academic job search once you reach that point. :)

RageyOne said...

Persistence pays off!

Canada said...

Wow, very impressive. And if Monday's cross-post was anything to go by, you could have a double doc in MIX-ology. :)

Bora Zivkovic said...

Birds. Hormones. You just jumped into my field! Welcome!