One of the many nice things about my postdoc is that it is a minimum three-year commitment, so I've got plenty of time to pursue interesting and difficult research. This was also extremely attractive because it meant that I didn't have to jump back into the job search right away. I had some breathing space.
But it occurred to me yesterday that if I am planning to leave after three years, then my next job search has to start next fall (2008). I know that shouldn't make me want to hyperventilate, but it does. Too soon!
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I'm not going to lie, I clicked through from bloglines because I thought that said Template fugit.
But while I'm here... autumn 2008 is AGES away. Don't freak out and spoil the time you've got to pursue the interesting and difficult research!
(your veri has sos in it. Heh)
I have every faith that you will find work, without much looking. You are bright, intelligent, and damn funny.
Breathe easy. Breathe easy. You'll do just fine. :)
I hear you. I have a 4 year contract that will not run out until fall 2009, but still I am thinking about it. I had a long talk with my boss on this topic just yesterday, which I am going to write a post about on my own blog. There is something about temporary positions of all sorts that's slightly uncompfortable. On the other hand it keeps us on our feet and aware of our options.
That being said, I am sure things will work out for you, and realistically you DO have plenty of time.
I'm sure you will do fine... You have more than a year and half to do your own interesting research before the hyperventilation kicks in!
Thanks everyone. Rationally, I know that it's a long time away. But I think it's the temporary thing, as saxifraga pointed out, that gets to me.
Post a Comment