Well, we told people that there would be no children. That wasn't an acceptable answer to some. ("You'll change your mind when you get older." Fuck you.) So we said that girl children would have my last name and boy children would have his last name. They didn't like that either, but whatever.
Friends from high school thought it was delightful that I was finally "giving in" to the patriarchy by getting married and loved to call me "Mrs." Not cool. Many relatives insisted on addressing things to "Mr. and Mrs." no matter what I said to them.
To me, this is a way of erasing my identity, of forcing me into a mold. My name is not Mrs. Publius. It is Dr. Hussy. Even worse are the people who address things to Mr. and Mrs. Arbitrista Publius. Like I don't even have a first name, like I am truly just an extension of my husband.
I had some long emotional discussions with my mother about this and she was pretty respectful of my feelings. I have an older male cousin, M, who got married a few years before, and his wife had also kept her name. My mother had addressed things to "Mr. and Mrs. M" because it was easier, but she does not do that anymore now that she understands. She had talks with everyone in the family and it's not much of a problem anymore.
That leaves the in-laws, who have been a constant source of frustration. After we had been married for a little over a year, my mother-in-law sent something addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Publius. I flipped out and told Arbitrista that he had better have a talk with his mother immediately. He called her and said, "Who is Mrs. Publius?" And she replied, "To your old-fashioned mother, it's your wife." They had a rather bitter fight, which I won't recount here, but in the end she came around. She even sent me a set of silverware that had the design name "Hussy," which I thought was a nice peace offering.
Arbitrista's step-mother has also been sending things to "Mr. and Mrs." She did it again this Christmas, which nearly ruined the holiday for me and prompted this post. I had had it. Enough. It has been five years. Arbitrista talked to her on the phone and asked her not to do it anymore; she apologized profusely, and said that she had thought that I was using "Hussy" for professional reasons but used "Publius" for personal stuff. WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT???? I mean, seriously. Anyway, she was very sorry, and will never do it again. I feel a little better, but damn.
I do not think badly of women who don't make the same choice as me. Inside the Philosophy Factory had a thought-provoking post recently on her decision to take her husband's name, and the crap she's had to put up with because of it. The idea that people would act like her husband had forced her to do it and that she had no choice in the matter is pretty upsetting and extremely condescending.
She makes an excellent point here:
"MY name' is my FATHER's last name. Talk about continuing the patriarchy... I should continue the name that my father gave me instead of the name of the man I CHOOSE to be with? This makes no sense. Especially considering that my father's family isn't all that influential in my life. On the other hand -- were I to take a last name that really means something to me, I'd take my mother's maiden name -- that side of the family has been and still IS my extended family.Indeed, I agree with her reasoning, and I thought about the implications of keeping my father's name but not taking my husband's name myself. But in the end, my name was simply my name, no matter where it had come from. It was the name I had been using my whole life. It is who I am. Changing it would signify to me that my identity had changed by getting married. And sure, some people could make a nice argument about signaling committment, etc. But why doesn't the man's identity change when he gets married? Why is it just the woman? This is grossly unfair. AND when a man DOES want to change his name to his wife's name, there are tons of legal obstacles and fees. (I know there was something in the news recently but I don't have a link.)
Also I know that some people were born with last names that they hate, and would/do jump at the chance to change it when they get married. To them I say, good for you!
But people have got to stop trying to force me to submit. Addressing things to "Mrs." and calling me by my husband's last name is not acceptable if I have already told you what my last name is. They are trying to take away my identity and make me a piece of property or an appendage of my husband. Think it's too long to write both my full name and my husband's name on an envelope? Think it would be easier to write "The Arbitristas"? Well, screw you. My sister addresses envelopes to our two first names, no last names at all. That is fine with me.

24 comments:
You go, Dr Hussy!!!! And I'm glad Mr Publius is fine with it. I have the hyphenated Canada-Hubby, and so do the kids (and the dog, for that matter). I have issues with anyone who tries to force someone to take a name or keep a name that they don't want (well, we all probably hated our first names at some point, but most of us just stick with that). It bothers me that in Quebec, the woman is not allowed to take her husband's name. Fine if that's what you want, but again with the non-choice.
Interestingly, I know a couple who both hyphenated their last names, each taking the other's. I thought that was cool (suggested it to Hubby, and he said it was good in theory, but he wasn't adding a ten letter last name to his nice and short five letter one!)
Oh, and the Mr and Mrs A. Publius? Pisses me off to no end!!! Hello, even if the woman changes her last name, she does get to keep her first name and her identity!!! I think this hearkens back to the days of bride as property. And should be abolished entirely.
Dear Dr. Hussy,
Please go gentle amongst the ignorant for they know not what they do. They are not seeing this issue from your perspective, only from their own. It is perfectly right and proper to educate them as to your preference in this matter but you must not take their angst regarding your wishes as your own. In other words, this will be an issue for the rest of your life. Don't let 'em get to you!
Actually, my step-mother DOES use her maiden name professionally and then my dad's name for personal stuff. Her argument was that as an established professional, she already had built a reputation that was connected with her name. But at home she wanted her last name to be the same as her children's. That's where I wonder about the automatic assumptions: who says that the kids have to have the dad's last name? Screw that.
You go, Dr. Hussy.
As a non-name-changer, I am TOTALLY with you on this, Brazen. However, I have given up trying to correct friends and family. It doesn't bother me too much, because I know they have no malice (along the lines of what SgtMum said). My husband and I actually joke about how people are so clueless. When we were first married, I didn't have my PhD yet, but he did. My grandma would mail us things with "Dr. & Mrs. Hubby" on it and we would just crack up. He always said he couldn't wait until I was also a PhD, just to see how my grandma would address things! But even, younger family members (my brother) and friends keep sending me mail addressed to "Addy N-Hubby". They all seem convinced that I hyphenated my name, when I never changed anything. It may be extra confusing to them since our daughter has a hyphenated last name. I always give out OUR address as "The N-Hubby Family" because that covers all three of us.
I think you are justified in being pissed off by these things, though. The things that irritate me are when the accountant does our taxes and H is listed as "taxpayer" and I am "spouse" (and my salary is slightly higher, even!) or when got our home loan my husband was the "primary" person. One of the weirdest things that's happened is that I got mail from AARP addressed to Addy Hubby. I'm 36 and that isn't my name, so I have to wonder how I got on that mailing list!! I agree that people should choose to change or not change their names, but I guess I am surprise how many women do change their names. I certainly have no great connection to my dad's side (since he disowned me!), but this has always been my name. H actually never wanted me to change it either- he thought it would be silly for me to have his name (I guess he's progressive that way!)
This is an interesting one, funnily enough had this conversation with me mam only last night.
I said I would take Boyfriend's name perhaps, thinking about the unity and oneness sort of thing. My mother went off it, said I should keep my own name (which is not my father's name but my Granny's maiden name - long story).
If it came down to it, I would keep my own name because of the association with the family, which is, mainly, why I changed my birth name / father's name to the family name. That said, I would be tempted to take Boyfriend's because, as I said, it's the whole unity thing. I asked him if he would take mine. He did say yes, but he did go pale and looked doubtful. Went against him, that, but to be fair he is a lot older.
I didn't change my name either, and for the most part I am lucky that all but the very oldest family members understand that. In fact, I think it's hysterical when people address things to Dr. Super G and Dr. Ianqui Doodle. It happens more often than one might think.
But I have to say that sometimes I think of referring to myself as Ianqui G when I want to do something that should be disassociated from my real identity. I mean, the whole world expects me to take his name anyway, so why not use it when necessary for nefarious purposes?
I've never had any desire to change my name, so it seems silly for a woman to necessarily feel differently.
One question though: Friends from high school thought it was delightful that I was finally "giving in" to the patriarchy by getting married and loved to call me "Mrs." Not cool.
Do you mean being called Mrs. Publius, or Mrs. Hussy? Maybe I misread you, but it sounds like you're objecting to the title Mrs. As a bit of a non sequitur, I always feel uncomfortable using the title Dr. in a nonprofessional context. It feels weird to use it when it's not relevant.
Ooooh, this totally annoyed me over Christmas. Firstly, Dr R and I are not yet married, but one card came addressed to Mr & Mrs R. Second, no one grasped the meaning of PhD. Like I had Miss, Ms, first name (in variety of spellings) etc. It is simple. I am Dr Doc, and he is Dr R. I will always be Dr Doc as I have no intention of changing my perfectly good name. But it annoys me, especially when my Dad feels obliged to have 'the talk' regarding not being too feminist and keeping my name. He believes I should be Dr Doc and Mrs R. As far as I can see, Mrs R is Dr R's mother!
So I hear you, and I get it!
Thanks for posting that Dr. Hussy. :~) I've always wondered how family members react when one chooses not to change their name. If I'm not mistaken we are afforded the opportunity of choice and we should not have to justify our choices. If the parties involved in the choice are oka with it, no one else should question it.
I saw that story you refer to on the news yesterday. The man is having to really jump through some hoops to change his name to his wife's surname. Just sems so odd that it takes much of nothing for a woman to do so, but it is not so easy for a man to do so.
Yep, yep, yep. I hear ya, and I am so bothered by this subject, in general, that I can't even comment coherently. GB and I talked briefly about both hyphenating when we got married, but decided we each liked our own names. We did decide that when we (eventually) adopt, the kid will probably be Mylastname-GB'slastname. (My mom said, but the name will be so long! I said, uh, yeah, some last names are long. People deal.) But it even annoys me to keep having to tell people that, no, neither of us changed our names.
However. I do think this:
"so why not use it when necessary for nefarious purposes?"
is completely brilliant. :)
Bravo!
Even though I've been a feminist my entire friggin' life, my normally progressive family jumped out of their skins when I announced I was keeping my name and not taking Mr. Trillwing's (or as he calls himself, Bastardson).
I agree with you: I wanted to keep my name because it had been mine for 27 years. Names have power, and I didn't want to subsume my identity to Mr. T's. That said, six months after we married, as a gesture of love because Mr. T was pretty badly hurt by my decision not to take his name, I did hyphenate. Trillwing-Bastardson is a bit of a mouthful, but it works for me. I hope that someday Mr. T also becomes a T-B (he does have an e-mail address in that name, and with double titles: "Mr. Dr. Trillwing-Bastardson").
When we had Lucas, I didn't feel any importance to "passing on" my family name or in marking my "ownership" of Lucas by branding him a Trillwing. But it *was* important to Mr. T that Lucas have his name. So Lucas is a Bastardson, not a Trillwing.
I don't like it when people assume I'm a "Mrs." It's especially bad when my students call me that. I've had to to explain to more than one class the difference between "Mrs.," "Ms.," and "Dr."
Thank you, everyone, for the support. A couple of specific responses:
Sgtmum: Point taken. I know! I pretty much gave up on convincing my grandfather. Sadly, he passed away last year.
Ianqui: I absolutely love the "nefarious purposes" idea.
Sheepish: they were definitely calling me Mrs. Publius. I do object to the Mrs, and I don't use Dr. when inappropriate but I'd appreciate it if snotty family members recognized it - because I'm sure they would if it was an MD. I use "Ms. Hussy" when Dr. is not appropriate.
Everyone else: thank you for sharing your thoughts on the subject! As you can tell, it's a very important topic to me.
Oh, and on an amusing note - my feminist leaning friends like to call Arbitrista "Mr. Dr. Hussy." He's cool with that.
Great post.
Sometimes society and families are just frustrating!
I would really like to see some hussy silverware please! :)
My mom tried to change her name back to her "maiden" name to escape the mafia (true story), and it cost her money to do so, which I think is ridiculous.
I concur. Fish and I have different last names. And my post on the subject is pretty much the most commented on post that I have ever blogged. I still get google hits routinely. It's obviously something that many people care deeply about but other people are either oblivious to or just obnoxious about.
I try to keep a sense of humor about being called Mrs. hislastname, but mostly because he gets called Mr. mylastname far more often.
All I can say is I feel like it should be your choice... but don't let it bother you too much when people use Mrs. Publius... chances are it is merely what they are used to, and no matter how many times you explain it to them, they aren't going to understand why it bothers you because it never bothered them. Most people just aren't that good at empathy. I understand you needed to rant, but I surely hope you don't use up too much energy on these people, chances are they're never going to really get it.
I went through a big long debate with myself about the name change thing, weighing the social conveniences, with the professional necessities, and honestly a sense of loss of idenity had never crossed my mind until my childhood church choir director asked about it and recounted her near-trauma over giving up her name. In the end, my inner turmoil was all moot as I live in Quebec and I'm not even allowed to change my name (without going through a full name change which is expensive and erases any previous record of your old name, which does hugely freak me out).
I really had planned on using both names... Dr. oldme, and Mrs. hisname... different names, for different hats I wear in my life (I even joked about getting actual hats!). Why not? I dress and act differently professionally than I do at home. I'm different as a wife than I was as a girlfriend (subtly, but I think it's there). I'm sure I'll be different as a mother than I am now. Maybe we should get to pick new names whenever we undergo life-altering events? I really wanted to be Mrs. hisname to signify this change in my life (I actually felt lucky compared to him, because I could easily do this), and the idea of a hyphen was a compromise to accomodate my carreer... just one part of my life.
Anyway, our families know that my name is the same as it has always been, yet we get lots of things addressed to Mr. and Mrs. hisname... at least at this point it is just a chuckle for us. I hope it stays that way.
The oddest thing I came across was actually in explaining to some of his friends' girlfriends how I had wanted to change my name, and they seemed to have a hard time accepting this, and added that Quebec was very progressive for not allowing this anymore. Shouldn't it at least be up to the individual?
MY name' is my FATHER's last name. Talk about continuing the patriarchy... I should continue the name that my father gave me instead of the name of the man I CHOOSE to be with? This makes no sense.
Ok, but that's a specious argument, because it really only applies in specific cases. But it's amazingly popular among the "I'm-going-to-take-the-wind-out-of-your-feminst-sails-to -diminish-your-choice-to-keep-your-name" crowd. I've heard it dozens of times when I say I didn't change my name.
For one thing, it's blind to a bunch of cultural riffs. My maiden name IS my mother's name because she wasn't married to my father (gasp! you..you...mean...what I think you...mean...??); my friend is in a similar position because her tribe uses the mother's family name.
Bottom line, I refuse to fight about this. I know who I am. The fact that women have to defend and explain their choices here, one way or another, and men don't (no matter what) just plain pisses me off and I refuse to waste my time justifying my choices when it's nobody else's f-ing business.
I felt the same way you did about changing my last name, but my husband and I got around the name thing by him taking my last name. And in our state (MN) it's truly just as easy for the man to change his name as it is for the woman to change hers. No extra fees or paperwork. Not only did this decision get my hubby TONS of accolades from all the women he knows, it also solved the problem of getting those damn Mr. and Mrs. Husband's Name cards. I still think the concept is absurd, but I'm always tickled by the people who don't know that the last name isn't orignally his!
I was thrilled to leave the name of my father, until, I realized, it was my grandfather's name too. Now, I wish I had kept it. When my husband passes, I will revert back to my grandfather's last name.
You make valid points and I would support my child if she was so reasonable.
I agree on the identity thing, and, as Propter Doc said, Mrs. HisLastName is his mother, while Mrs. MyLastName were/are my mom and grandma, and... let's just say that would be an easy choice. He'd be happier if I took his, but is ok with both. For "professional reasons", I probably should take his, because it is much more rare than mine, so my publications would be found more easily etc. We'll see. If anyone asks that I don't want to discuss it with (like, when I expect it to lead to nothing but frustration), I say we can decide that when we have an actual date for the wedding.
This was a huge point of contention when J and I got married. As laid back as he is about most of my anti-authority decisions (I did NOT wear white at our wedding! But it was a big pouffy ballgown that made me drool :) ), he was surprisingly upset when I said I wanted to keep my name... for the very same reasons you did. Ultimately, I changed my name to Life&Times Mylastname Hislastname and have gotten flack about it from my colleagues. "You'll lose your name!" I know it was a weird compromise, and not necessarily one I'm entirely happy with, but I console myself that I will have lots of initials in front of my last name when I write books-- thus implying that I'm an old white male, but then surprising the audiences when they discover I'm a fashionable young woman with cute shoes AND half a brain. It's a hard decision to make sometimes and I hate that people from EITHER side of the issue make it harder than it already is-- ultimately, it's my name, my identity, my choice, and I will compromise only with whom I choose to compromise for my own reasons.
And I'm not having kids no matter HOW MANY grandkids you want. Take that! ;)
Oh... I should be friends with you so we could discuss the whole last-name thing more in depth!!! :)
After getting annoyed during the Holidays because some Christmas cards came to Drs. S and S "mylastname" Hislastname, I have decided that, especially for the women that went OUT OF THEIR WAY to let me know that they had changed their name after getting married, I'll just use their maiden name next time and see how they like it. The Drs. was annoying in its own way, being that I'm a PhD, not a "healing" doctor, and that hubby wasn't done with his PhD at the time. I don't really like being addressed as Dr. for social stuff :)
It's not that I think it's wrong to change your name... it's just that keeping mine was MY decision and it should be respected. It has nothing to do with being a "girl power" type person or any of that.
When I finished my PhD, my hubby's mom gave me a plaque with my name on it... S mylastname hislastname. Hubby told her that sorry, but that wasn't my name... gave it back, and she had to put my name correctly... I think she's gotten it. His sister is a bit more reluctant... but oh well... she'll get it eventually :)
I'm from Mexico and we don't change names there at all. Kids just have 2 last names: Kid hislastname mylastname :) And I kept mine so that it's easier for my kids to understand half of their culture. I think people using the excuse of their kids and school for the only reason to change their name (even though they say they really didn't want to) is weak. At some point the whole country will have to realize that changing your name is a CHOICE not a legal requirement. So... our kids will have hislastname here, and both last names when they're registered in Mexico ;)
If only our southern friends (and the "you not taking your husband's name just means you don't love him enough" type) would read your blog... maybe they'd understand! :)
The hussy silverware is brilliant :)
I'm definitely linking your blog to mine!!! :)
dear dr hussy,
i loved this rant so much i'm going to fwd it to friends. i'm a non-changer too and being called "mrs. blah di blah" drives me up the damn wall. thank you for writing this!!
Post a Comment