A looong time ago, this meme went around and I posted a picture of my primary workspace, which was at home. That was back in NYC when I was adjuncting all over the city.
Now I have a job and my very own office! And Geeka posted a picture of her office (and so did Kelly), inspiring me to do it again.
So, I do have an actual office, but it doesn't have a door or a window, and really it's kind of a hole in our basement lab. Here's the entrance (yes, that's data I have up on the wall):
The heater is because my office is absolutely freezing in the winter. There's lots of shelf space, though, which is nice. And a nice big L-shaped desk.
The little ledge around the desk is filled with postcards, most of which I bought at museums or places I've traveled, but also postcards mailed to me by friends (you can just see the parrot postcard from StyleyGeek peeking out behind the laptop!). They almost (but not really) make up for not having a window.
It ain't perfect, but it's all mine. I didn't have a desk in grad school (one of the pitfalls of being co-advised by people at two different universities, I guess) and when adjuncting, I had to share. It makes a big difference to have your own space.

6 comments:
How delightful to see your office too! :)
I read the titles of some of your textbooks. Your field reminds me of someone I worked with in my MS who studied the evolutionary biology of spider venoms. She was a brilliant postdoc who later moved to a faculty position in the Northwest. I always liked that field and wished I had gotten into that instead of protein biochem...a bit specialized, though, and useless in NZ where there are no native spiders.
Your postcard collection is very cool!!
ooh, i see a pic of dr. brazen and arbitrista's wedding!!
I actually really like your office! Your books, binders, and postcards make it all colorful. I guess I will have to put a picture of mine -- just to make you jealous (though I have not nearly enough shelf space!) - I have a huge window, in a 4th floor, so the view is kind of nice :) Maybe I should get a fish... though, having to punch in sort of serves the same purpose! :)
Hey, is your e-mail correct? (drbrazenhussy@gmail.com)? I tried to send you something just now and told me "no such user" ;) Well... you can just see it here... priceless!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
Maybe she'll go to graduate school one day :)
Hey Super Babe - Yep, that's the correct address; don't know why it didn't work. That video cracks me up!
Growing up as a kid, I had a Mom who worked in a university lab. Those photos of yours remind me of the lab. I am thinking all university labs use the same color scheme...
Post a Comment