Thursday, January 15, 2009

Emotional rollercoaster

Yesterday I received an email inviting me to interview for a tenure track position (and it's actually a different one than the job I had the phone call about awhile back - that school still hasn't invited candidates, as far as I can tell). It was a bit of a jolt back to regular life, and now my head is in two places at once and it's rather difficult. Still, I'm very excited about the interview, and Arbitrista is extremely excited about the location.

This week has been a haze - partly because of all the drinking we've been doing. In true Hussy family fashion, we are all attempting to dull the pain. We consider it a tribute to my father - when going through family photo albums for picture of my parents for the funeral, it was almost impossible to find any of him without a drink in his hand. The memorial service will be on Saturday, and I think we will drive back to Big Ten College Town on Monday. My brothers are continuing to take care of things here. The legal problems are being sorted out with the help of a lawyer - there are no disputes, which makes it easy, but in the absence of a will everything will take a long time.

Thank you, everyone who commented here or on Facebook or sent emails or Lush gift cards (thank you, Katie!)- or who insisted on flying all the way down to Southern City and is spending time with me now (Repressed Librarian is quite possibly the most wonderful person in the world). It's been really nice to receive all this support in this terrible time.

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wishing you the very, very best of luck in getting the job! And time can really make an amazing difference, so here's hoping that every day gets a little better and easier for you.

chall said...

I wish you the best with life and job and the next day.

I am happy (strange word maybe) that you and your siblings get along well in this terrible situation. Take care!

Musey_Me said...

Good to hear that things are moving forward. Congrats on the interview. Hang in there.

post-doc said...

RL is beyond amazing - I can think of very few people who are such effortlessly comforting presences. Continue to take care of yourself and enjoy the time with people who love you. And many congratulations on the interview! It's a good time to remember the potential for wonderful opportunities.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

RL is so totally awesome, and I'm so glad that you have your brothers to take care of details.

Life is weird with its ups and downs all in the same week. Best you can do is just ride them out. I hope the interview goes well for you!

Chaser said...

Best of luck on the interview, Dr. BH--you will rock them. If not this time, the next time--the right job is coming.

My sincerest condolences to you--there is just nothing I can say to reflect the enormity of your loss--other than I am terribly sorry that happened to you and your family.

Unknown said...

All the best for the upcoming interview BH! Sending strength to get through all the rest

LumpenProf said...

Congrats on the interview. Here's some very minor new year's cheer I'm sending your way. Take care.

Mamabeek said...

Oh my Lord. I just caught up on your blog after seeing your twitter. Ten thousand condolences and ten thousand congratulations all at once!

It is amazing that you are functioning at all. I bow to your resilience. I'll keep everything crossed this interview goes well and send you well... what is there to send for the other? Very best wishes to your sister that she gets completely well. One small light in the darkness...

Anonymous said...

oh dr. brazen hussy.... again, i am so sorry....

Belle said...

I am still stunned by what you're going through. And though it's certainly terribly minor and trite at this moment, I too have given you the Inspiration award. Because you do inspire me.

hgg said...

I just read your news after being away from internet for a week. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your parents. I hope your sister will be fine.

Good luck with the interview!

Sneks said...

Brazen,

Sorry for your loss, but congratualtions on your interview, and best of luck in the job hunt!

Hoping the best for you!
Cheers!
Sneks
(friend of Wondering Albatross ... we met at a conference one time once!)

Melissa said...

Continuing to wish you and your family peace right now. Congrats on the interview offer!

Elise said...

Well, fuck. This is what I get for not checking your feed for a week. What a hellish way to start the new year. I am so terribly sorry about your parents, so very thankful about your sister, and so very congratulatory about the job possibilities. I feel like an emotional contortionist! But a very sincere one. Here's hoping the rest of the year is on a more even keel.