Thursday, January 22, 2009

January 1 is so arbitrary anyway

I demand a do-over.

I started 2009 with such good intentions, and I felt I was off to a good start until I was completely derailed by horrific tragedy. I still think the next year can be a great one (hooray, job interview), but I really don't want to associate it with the events of the last couple of weeks.

So. I can begin the year with Obama's inauguration, which certainly filled me with hope and other good feelings. I'm sure my husband can fill me in with details about dictators who restarted the calendar at Year One with the beginning of their rule. But that's a bit too fascist for me, so I think I'll go with the classic Chinese New Year. Monday begins the Year of the Ox, which, according to Tarot.com, will be a year of well-rewarded hard work for me. I can live with that.

11 comments:

PhizzleDizzle said...

Chinese New Year is Jan. 26 - a good a day as any to start the New Year. :)

I'm sending you good vibes.

Arbitrista said...

Aw, come on. Why not declare this Year 1 of the Brazen Hussy Millenium?

repressed librarian said...

American, Chinese, whatever-ethnicity New Year! A new year is a new year, and you absolutely deserve a do-over!

Canada said...

If anyone should get a do-over, it's you!!! Although I like Arbitrista's thinking, too.

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

I'm loving this idea. Go for it, and I'll join you.

Mamabeek said...

An outstanding idea. Do, do and do some more!

Leslie M-B said...

To oxen, then.

Happy new year.

lost clown said...

I think that that's a great idea. It will be a great year for you I hope.

Mazel Tov on the interview by the way.

JaneB said...

I love that idea - go for it!

Ursa said...

An excellent choice.

Ursa, the master of the mulligan.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

I've been away from the blogosphere and missed hearing what had happened - I just got caught up. I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your mum & dad. I hope your sister is well recovered.