Sunday, May 03, 2009

The New Normal

As most of you know, I have experienced an awful lot of upheaval in the last few months. My parents died, on the same day. My cat died. I traveled more than I would have liked - I did enjoy all of the trips but it was very disruptive to normal life. I moved to a new home. And so on.

Arbitrista and I have been looking forward to getting things back to normal, or, as we've been thinking of it, the New Normal. Because "normal" is nothing like the "normal" of six months ago. Some of the changes are quite good: I received some rather big life insurance payments, which allowed me to pay off my shockingly large amount of credit card debt, with enough left over for some nice new things. Because I'm no longer paying $1500 a month on credit cards, we can afford to pay more rent, so we moved into this nice house with a big backyard.

Which meant we could do something we've been wanting to do for a long time - get another dog!

Meet Zelda:
As you can see, she's made herself at home already. She's a rescued collie, three years old, and a former puppy-mill breeder (poor thing!). We've got a lot of work to do with her - she's still pretty new to being a house dog and doesn't know any commands (although she learned her new name in about a day!), but she's very sweet, extremely good on the leash (no pulling at all! the exact opposite of Gatsby) and housebroken. She LOVES the cats - and they seem to like her too, which is a surprise. Because Gatsby is such a submissive dog, she's quickly become the alpha dog for probably the first time in her life and she snaps at him a little more than we'd like, but we're working on it. They usually get along fine except for when he has a rawhide bone. She thinks all rawhide bones belong to her.

In addition to a second dog, we needed some new furniture for the house, including a proper dining room table, our first Real! Grownup! Sofa! (this one, in blue - it has not yet arrived), and, as always, more bookcases. Less than a year ago we bought a set of bookcases and a wine bar from Crate and Barrel that we loved. So we bought, uh, a few more. Behold! The dining room!

Close observers may notice that we also have a second bar... as it turned out, we had too much booze for just one bar. The one on the right is devoted to whiskey and whiskey accessories. For the first time EVER, all of our books - and all of our booze! - all have a place, even the paperback fantasy novels that Arbitrista has had to keep in a closet since we got married. (For the record, the books pictured above are only about half of our total collection - the rest are downstairs in the living room.)

Yes, I'm still very sad and working to adjust. But there are some good new things in our lives, and we're definitely experiencing a major bump in our standard of living. I didn't get a tenure-track job in the last season, but my job here is going well and I intend to stick around for a couple of years. I'm applying for external funding and my boss is talking about getting me promoted to Assistant Scientist which would be very cool. I could see myself doing this for awhile; I like research and I don't miss teaching at all, and I'm starting some very exciting and novel work involving things ending in -omics. We like it here and we both have stable positions and we make enough money, so I'm not going to stress any more about finding a job and getting out. (This doesn't mean that I won't be applying for jobs next year, though... I'm just not going to get all worked up about it.)

So, for the next few months, I'm going to try to relax and get used to the New Normal.

25 comments:

Belle said...

Zelda is gorgeous! Ummm... she's supposed to be Charlene dog (#3), not Alpha in the pack...

I am sooooo jealous of your gorgeous room! The bookcases are fab and it all looks so orderly and spiffy. Where, I ask, are the decorative mounds of fashion accessories (aka cat hair)?

Glad to hear New Normal is treating you both well.

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

Zelda is beautiful! So are your bookshelves! I need to convince Dr. Man that we need bookshelves like that. (How I'm not sure, but we definitely have enough books.) I'm glad that the new normal is going well for you.

Seeking Solace said...

I think the new normal suits you quite nicely.

Zelda is such a beautiful dog. She is going to enjoy her life with you, Arbitrista and the rest of the pack!

PhysioProf said...

A beautiful dog and two fucking bars! Sounds like life is good!

hgg said...

I love love love the bookshelves. Hope your new normal will be great!

post-doc said...

Hi, Zelda! Aren't you a pretty girl?

The house is beautiful - I'm very happy for you. I know getting there has been very difficult, but I'm hoping you enjoy life there very much.

RageyOne said...

Your dog is beautiful!

It is good that you are adjusting okay. The new normal will eventually get to be normal over time.

Brigindo said...

The New Normal is looking pretty good. Zelda is quite stunning and I'm glad she's adjusting so well.

Alyssa said...

Zelda is gorgeous! Love the new bookcases, dining set and couch - glad the new normal is treating you well. You deserve it!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness - I am in organizational heaven after seeing your wall of bookcases. They are divine.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, even if "well" is a relative term. Friends here have just paid off their mortgage using his mother's bequest, and have similar feelings.

I love the bars. :)

Albatross said...

Zelda is such a cutie! And that room is beautiful. I've always wanted a library of some sort but all our books are scattered throughout the house wherever we could fit shelves.
Enjoy the new normal!

Sisyphus said...

Hey girl! I've been wondering how you've been doing. Good to see you're hanging in there.

And what a cute dog! Zelda, huh? And Gatsby? Aww, that's cute, with the paired names and all.

And I'm so glad you are out from under insane credit card debt! I hope you can get some nice new...

*sees the bookshelves*

...gasp!...

*mouth drops open, eyes travel allll the way down the bookshelves*

...

let me move in with you! Please!!!

Wow.

Amelie said...

Do you have a mirror wall, or is the room really that big? Amazing! Enjoy Zelda and the New Normal.

ScienceGirl said...

Zelda is a beauty! Love your dining room - hope you enjoy it!

Musey_Me said...

congrats on all the new stuff in your life. I hope the new normal sticks around long enough to just be normal :-)

comebacknikki said...

I love, love, love the bookshelves! Of course, I feel the same about the doggie - she's so pretty! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
Zelda is such a beautiful dog...

Cheers,
Permanente Ontharing

Keri said...

Zelda is beautiful!!

Good luck with the adjustment to the "New Normal" (wonderful phrase, by the way!)

Jesse said...

There are almost as many comments to this post as there are bookshelves in your dinning room. I nearly bought one of those bookshelves my self once upon a time, but I didn't. I am chock full of good stories today.

Unbalanced Reaction said...

I love those shelves; that is exactly how I want my library (in my imaginary, unpurchased house).

chall said...

I thought I didn't like bookshelves without backs... I am wrong ;) those look aboslutely great!! And the dining table too.

Happy to hear that it is getting to a new normal and that some of the things afterwards is in positive. It always helps to have some good things even if there are hard times as well. The money thing is one of those "it makes it easier since you can make a difference".

Good luck with everything and take care!

Silk Stocking said...

Sniff - our old family dog (a collie) was just put down. :( They are the BEST dogs though.

microbiologist xx said...

Everything looks great. I am so glad to read that you have a rescued dog. I have two cats rescued from a breeder, one of which was a breeder, the other is her only surviving kitten from her last litter. She is still not quite sure about humans, but she has taken quite nicely to our other cats.

Mad Chemist Chick said...

I am a bit late to the party, but cute collie! I was lucky enough to have one as a kid and they are great dogs.

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

You obviously need more books. :D