Monday, May 11, 2009

Writing before I'm ready

I have been in another slump lately, unable to make progress on my many projects. If it's a task for someone else, that's no problem - so it looks like I'm working. But I know that I haven't been.

When I was writing the NIH grant, it was a lot of work. As I would say to anyone who would listen, it took over my time and sucked out my life force. But honestly? I felt more like myself while writing that grant than I have in months. And now that the deadline has passed and the grant has been submitted, I have lost that again. Partly it's The Paper That Just Won't Die (henceforth known as TPTJWD) depresses me so much every time I look at it. And I think part of it is good old regular depression.

I noticed Academic Cog started her own springtime answer to InaDWriMo, the Magical Month of Academic Publishing (MMAP). I would have participated - obviously I need the external motivation - but at the time I was mired in the grant. But now I have finally picked up a copy of Robert Boice's Professors as Writers and I have decided to try his method. It's not so radical, really, and is probably familar to many of you.

The first thing you have to do is get used to writing without agonizing over it or pre-planning too much. So you start by doing "spontaneous writing" for about 15 minutes a day for a week or two. I got up early this morning and did my 15 minutes of writing before I was allowed to turn on the computer and check out anything online. He recommends writing longhand - partly because he started consulting on the topic and writing about it before everybody and their dog had their own computer, but also because it encourages writing without editing. I am doing the spontaneous writing longhand in a pretty journal I bought months ago and never used, but I am going to switch to typing for the generative writing that is the second step. I haven't done much longhand writing since I was taking notes for classes lo these many years ago, and my wrist is sore!

One thing I really like about his prescriptions is the whole "writing before you're ready" thing. Instead of focusing on trying to finish TPTJWD, I need to start writing a new paper. And it's true - I have a whole bunch of things planned to write but am waiting to finish analyses, whatever. But next week I will start writing one of these papers. I think (I haven't finished reading the book yet) that the idea is that once you get your writing juices flowing you just keep going. So I'll have draft pages written for paper number two, and then it will be easier to go back and edit paper number one.

Thus I am going to change my daily goals. Over in the sidebar is a graph where I've been trying to make new daily habits this year; one of those habits was writing for two hours a day. With the exception of when I was working on the grant, I didn't do too well with that habit. So instead I will give myself one point for every 15 minute chunk of time I spend writing.

So here's the plan: for the first week, I will do 15 minutes of spontaneous writing a day. Then starting next week, I will get started with 5 minutes of spontaneous writing followed by 15-30 minutes of generative writing - which is like spontaneous writing but is on a particular topic, in this case the topic of Paper Number Two. I like that he says that it doesn't matter if you don't have the analyses finished or the literature reviewed yet - you can leave holes for it in your writing. The point is to get your ideas on paper. I can do that.

Wish me luck! I plan to report on my progress here- it will give me something to write about.

12 comments:

Alyssa said...

Good luck! Sounds like an interesting method - let us know how it goes!

For me, I find I freak out about writing until I start doing it, then things begin to flow. But, for some reason it takes me some time each morning (or in general) to gear up for it.

Seeking Solace said...

This sounds so exciting. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Good Luck!!!

Brigindo said...

Good luck! Its a great method. I tried it several years ago and very rarely stop writing now for more than a day or two.

Amelie said...

Sorry for the slump. Good luck with the new attempt!

undine said...

You've convinced me. I'm going to get on this, too.

Jenn, PhD said...

Sounds like a great plan, and quite motivating too... let us know how it's going.

yolio said...

This happens to me too. It seems like nearly every paper has to move through a stage where I just hate, hate, hate it. I feel like I waste a lot of time throwing myself at projects that I am sick of, when I should just move onto something new and come back to it when I am not so mad it.

I also recommend a book called "How to write a lot" by Silvia. He is an academic psychologist and the book is short, simple, and cheery. It covers some of the same ground as Boice and he has a great sort of "just do it" mentality that I found very encouraging.

Also, for the inevitable desperate times, there is an online service called the academic writing club. For around $2.50 a day you can join their club and have someone coach you and check in on you, etc. I've never signed up, it seems too pricey for me for now, but it is worth googling.

life_of_a_fool said...

good luck!

I like the idea of "earning" a point for every 15 min. chunk. Your two hour a day goal is quite impressive -- I would fail pretty much every day if I aimed that high; the 15 min chunks is less overwhelming, but still encourages more. I also dread working on particular articles often. Not good.

Momoc HDR Photography said...

Good luck man, great technique. I`m going to try it.

cheers
hobo handbag

Sisyphus said...

Haha! Tis I!

Yeah I noticed that nobody joined in with my for the Magical Month of Academic Publishing, but April/May is much more open for me than November.

Good luck pushing a new rock! You can do it!

Addy N. said...

Go for it! I hope it works for you- I'll be curious to hear about your progress...

Tara Kuther said...

I love love love Boice! I often fall of the wagon but his ideas have helped a great deal. Good luck!

and btw, my verification word is ranta -- blogger knows me!! ;)