Thursday, June 18, 2009

A list. And a wren.

I am trying to deal with the general sense of overwhelm by prioritizing and reminding myself how much time I have for each of these things. And I am going to post a list, because it's always fun to cross things off a list (and I keep looking back at the list I posted last week and wanting to cross things off it - in fact, I think I will).

BIG THINGS TO GET DONE THIS SUMMER
1. Finish writing/practice/give hour-long research talk
2. Write and submit NSF grant
3. Revise and resubmit paper (due date: August 14)
4. Finish current MS (no due date)

Well that doesn't look SO bad. It's just feels overwhelming because of:
ONGOING PROJECTS
1. Sample collection (now until ?)
2. REU project (now until July 31)
3. Another undergraduate project (July 5-August 14) delegated
4. RNA extraction for massive 'omics project (now until ?) delegated

Most of that stuff I am really just supervising but I am kind of a control freak.

Plus the everyday annoying stuff like
1. our IACUC protocol is up for renewal in September OH NOES
2. maintaining the lab
3. Yet ANOTHER paper to review in the next couple of weeks
4. I keep forgetting to set up interviews/etc with students who want to work with me... need to get on that emailed one of them...

Ok. I need to go get dressed and go poke at some birds. Like this pretty Carolina wren.

4 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

You need a personal assisant...or a clone.

That is a pretty bird.

Belle said...

I do love your bird pics! That wren is amazing; the variations of colors are so cool.

How many birds do you process per day?

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

I only catch from 8-11 am; after that it gets too hot for the birds. The most I've caught in one day so far is 14.

The Ridger, FCD said...

I love those wrens. And she doesn't look the slightest bit angry!