Wednesday, October 28, 2009

InaDWriMo 2009: Who's in??

I wasn't going to do it this year, but there is an article that has been on my to-do list for all of 2008. Literally. I flipped through my notebook of to-do lists last week and was shocked to see how long I'd been writing it down and ignoring it. And then November kept getting closer and closer and, well, here we are.

So, I pledge to write 5,000 words about Topic I Hate But It Got Funded And I Did The Work And Now I Have To Publish The Stupid Thing (TIHBIGFAIDTWANIHTPTST... hmmm, need a better acronym). 5,000 doesn't sound like a lot but it's enough for a short article (which is all I'm going to get out of this stupid thing) and I haven't been able to get anything written for nearly a year so, proportionally speaking, 5,000 is quite a lot.

Who's with me?

Background info:
InaDWriMo 2008
InaDWriMo 2007
InaDWriMo 2006

42 comments:

Nat Blair said...

Aw hell, I'm in too.

I've got a new discussion to write for a manuscript resubmission, and a short article to at least get into a good draft.

Liberal Arts Lady said...

In! 3000. Min.

Silk Stocking said...

I am in for about 15,000 words and just do be fucking done already.

Brigindo said...

I'm in. I have to figure out my word count but I'm definitely in.

hgg said...

OK, I'm in. Maybe that can bring me back to blogging as well.

My goal is five projects (in no particular order)
1. Finalize PWTMI (project with too many involved)
2. Revise ODBPP (over-due boring postdoc project)
3. Turning SEISP(student essay into submittable paper)
4. Write MFTP (my f***ing teaching philosophy)
5. Draft ENKAG (exciting new kick-ass grant)
6. Outline LNFAHTJMLC (lecture notes for awesomely heavy theoretical January master level course)

Caroline said...

I'm in - 25 000 words :)

Kate said...

I've got several projects that need my attention too:

Finish internal grant 1 (3)
Finish internal grant 2 (6)
Finish IRB proposal (12)
Write Collaboration Paper (12+)

No real sense of the number of words, just number of pages right now.

Unknown said...

Think of it as four 4 page-papers, rather than one 20-pager.

luckybuzz said...

I'm in! I have a book chapter due sometime in December...how many words is that? Too many. But that's my goal!

(word veri is mirturis, which I initially read as "martinis.")

Kendra Leonard said...

I'm in too. Uh, let's see....15, 000 words. Thanks for doing this again--without you I might have forgotten about InaDWriMo altogether this year!

stepwise girl said...

I'm in. Some writing and a lot of reshuffling necessary on almost forgotten study. Ideally I should turn advanced draft into submitable manuscript.

Albatross said...

Thank you so much for doing this again this year!

I am going to aim for projects instead of words for now.
1) Write fellowship proposal
2) Revise chapter 1 of diss for publication
3) Revise chapter 2 of diss for publication
4) Write first major postdoc paper
5) Write small grant

Kelly said...

Hell. I'm in. I am probably working on the same thing as last year's failed attempt: the final paper from my PhD work. I tried to fob it off on the second author, and offered first authorship, but she's too busy too. I will make time every week in November to work on it.

fBm said...

Hmmm.... alright, I'm in. New to the geek blog scene. But I'll follow the lead of anyone with a martini for a profile pic.

My aims for InaDWriMo 2009 are smaller than some, though something tells me the second will keep me busy:

- First draft of PFFC (presentation for foreign conference -- so I can get a practice run in front of an audience before the semester is out).
- TV2SI (theoretical vapor to solid idea)
- First round of internships should be out the door.

Tree of Knowledge said...

I'm in. I need to write my dissertation prospectus this month.

Sisyphus said...

I'm in! I need to write an introduction. How long are those things? No clue. Will get back to you.

And may I suggest retitling TIHBIGFAIDTWANIHTPTST as something simpler and more evocative, like AAAARGH or GRAAAAAAH? The typewriter symbols that mean swearing work nicely as well.

Leslie M-B said...

I'm in. I really need to get back to my research. I'm not sure how much polished writing I'll get done, but I just pulled out my giant tubs of photocopies from my time in various museums' archives. I'll be looking for fodder for an article.

Anonymous said...

OMG-- after years of whining I don't have a dissertation to write.

Let's see-- how about two job applications and I'll come up with something else.

Deal?

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

This ongoing project may be November's only redeeming merit. Two figures and 2000 words, starting a manuscript that I want done by January (and launching return from maternity leave to boot!)

Busylizzy111 said...

I most definitely should be in it, in the purest form - Dissertation writing.
No idea how much but I will strieve to find a healthy balance between analyses and writing.

Thanks for hosting!

The History Enthusiast said...

I have job applications due in November that will be consuming some time (in addition to teaching), but I really want to get back to the dissertation. Here's my goal at the moment: a) revise and add to Chapter 1, and b) draft Chapter 4.

Thanks for hosting this! I've never done this before, so if there are any rules I need to follow, please let me know.

Unknown said...

I just discovered this but I am in too. I need some type of kita.

I am in for 10000 of my dissertation.

ScienceWoman said...

Not sure how much I'll blog it, but I'm in:

1. Finish revisions on the paper-that-won't-die (goal: November 6)
2. Internal release time application (due November 15)
3. NSF proposal (due ~December 1)

LumpenProf said...

I'm in. The Lumpenmanuscript begun last InaDWriMo continues. I'll try again for 10,000 words, a goal I didn't manage to achieve last year. Let the games begin!

Anonymous said...

i'm in! at least one 25 pg paper to write as first draft manuscript...

TiredProf said...

I'm in for a paper I'm presenting in the Spring (ca 3000 words). And a book I need to get back to (and should have a proposal for in 3 weeks, which might not quite make it, but it doesn't mean I can't try).

fev said...

I'm in for 5,000. Some of which (whom) is going out the door Sunday night, whether it wants to or not.

Anonymous said...

I'm in!! Dissertation is due mid-Nov, but I refuse to let my sideline my second paper....so, must write draft from diss. chapter. Harder than it sounds. Also have small paper with collaborator - I would like to have all of *my* contribution including the writing finished by the end of Nov. too.

Geek Academic said...

I'm in! Complete dissertation "shitty first draft" by end of November!

Tentative word count, 30,000. Here we go!

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

I'm in, if it's not too late. I've got to write the intro for my dissertation. I have no idea how many words that's going to be. So, I'll pledge to have a first draft of that.

heart and soul said...

I'm in. My goal is to write 5,000 words to complete the draft of a new paper. And submit the three that I have already drafted, require only minor revision, and I have been sitting on for no good reason for months.

akoh said...

hi, i'm in as well (and am new to this!) 16 000 words thereabout:
2 book prospectuses + cover letters
3 chapters (1.5 done and need revisions)

fev said...

1,600-plus words down on Sunday, which isn't going to last -- but it's a start, and tnx for the inspiration.

ScienceGirl said...

I am in; details forthcoming on my blog.

redbean said...

Ooh, me! me! I'm so so very behind.

redbean said...

Sorry, little excited there. I really miss NaNoWriMo this year AND I have a crazy amount of school writing to do (damn prospectus). So I'll put myself down for 500 a day.

redbean said...

Three times a charm. Here's my blog with stats (because everyone loves to read random strangers' blogs):
http://dissertationmonk.blogspot.com/

AliceAcademic said...

Count me in! I'm late too, but I'm following your lead with the 5,000. I have two incomplete articles, so if I can get one of them done in this insane month, I will consider it a victory. Thanks for hosting again.

Ms Corporealities said...

Count me in! I'm late and am posting my updates on my blog (http://corporealities.blogspot.com/) to keep posted.

My aims are:

- write a draft of a book chapter (8,000)
- write a conference paper (3,000)
- write more on my dissertation (7,000 or so...)
- polish the segment of my dissertation to date (edit a 10,000 word piece)

Wish me luck! Good luck and many writing vibes to you all...

Maude said...

I'm a week late, but I'm in. I have to get something done by the 30th, actually the 28th so I have time to overnight--no email submissions. Gah. But I'll give it another go this year.

Jen Glass said...

I'm in too! (Also late.) I need to finish a paper. I'm opting for at least 20 minutes of writing each day.

Anonymous said...

I'm in too. I posted my goals on my blog, whose sole purpose is to hold the word counter. I had sooo much that needed writing that I started early and plan to continue through December. My goal is to be at the 75% mark by the end of November.