Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I really wish I could remember this

I have just re-read Boice's Professors as Writers and am trying to get back to work on a paper I have been dreading and avoiding all year (despite my attempts to make it my InaDWriMo paper). This week I have forced myself to implement 30 minutes of writing a day, and have started from scratch rather than trying to resuscitate the sad old pages that have been plaguing me (except for the Methods section - which I made myself retype rather than cut and paste). And during this morning's 30-minute session, the most miraculous thing happened: while I was writing through a thought, I suddenly thought of a wonderful new way to frame the paper. And suddenly I am enthusiastic about this paper again!

Ideas happen when you are writing. I wish I could remember that and stop avoiding it!

4 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

I so need to get that book! I have been procrastinating on my own writting.

Hope all goes well. :)

Anonymous said...

isn't it wondrous when things come together like that. all of my published work has had a similar moment in time...good for you!

Monster Scholar said...

The same thing hits me everytime. I find that blogging has helped me in that area and I'm able to more quickly frame and argue my ideas.
Good luck!

PhysioProf said...

YAY!

Creativity is all about sacking the fuck up, sitting the fuck down, and creating shit.