Last night I decided to sit down and take the damn quiz. There are seven areas of dysfunction: Work apprehension, Procrastination, Writing apprehension, Dysphoria, Impatience, Perfectionism, and Rules. I calculated my scores and compared them to the reported averages in the book. Turns out I am pretty average for the first four. I scored high for Impatience, no surprise. But the highest score I had by far, which was MUCH higher than the average score, was Perfectionism.
Really? No. Are you sure? Because that's not me. At all.
Then I took this online Perfectionism test on Psychology Today. My score? 82 out of 100.
According to this test, you are bound by the cuffs of perfectionism. You set standards that can never be met. Most likely, this tendency is making you suffer. And needlessly. It is time that you tuned into your perfectionist side and diluted it. While a desire to do well, to do your best work, and to explore your full potential can give you a sense of satisfaction and personal fulfillment, you have to learn when it is 'good enough'."Bound by the cuffs of perfectionism"?? Harsh.

3 comments:
Boy you sure know how to ring out the New Year w/cheer, don't you? I never considered self a perfectionist until I read that PT description. Gah.
Happy New Year to you and Arbistra, you perfectionist you.
I got a 72. Very interesting quiz. I was surprised by my result; with the way I was answered the questions, I thought I would score higher.
you're not alone. I would guess that MOST successful scientists are perfectionists.
I suspect I will get a low score on this. I am not a perfectionist by most definitions. But I am looking for more books to help me with publishing, so I am curious to try reading this one.
Post a Comment