Friday, June 26, 2009

Promotion

My boss has decided to nominate me for a promotion. My current title is Research Associate (not Postdoctoral Fellow) and we are going to pursue the title of Assistant Scientist. Scientist! I like the sound of that! Big Ten University has research ranks - Assistant Scientist, Associate Scientist, and Senior Scientist. No tenure, of course, and as far as I can tell no associated increase in salary. But I'll have a bit more autonomy at the administrative level in these ranks. I'll be able to apply for grants as PI without the sponsored research people giving me any trouble. I'll no longer be referred to as a "postdoctoral student" (I HATE THAT).

I got the memo about the process yesterday. It's surprisingly scary - it seems similar to applying for tenure (though much, much less involved), without the getting tenure part, of course. I have to turn in a dossier, which includes six outside letters of recommendation. I have to give a seminar. People have to vote about whether or not I get it.

I'm not really very nervous though. The criteria are as follows: 1) completed the terminal degree in his or her discipline, 2) at least one year of successful postdoctoral research experience, 3) be fully capable of original, independent research work. I think I can handle that! To get promoted to Associate Scientist, you have to have begun building a "national reputation." The vagueness of this makes me laugh.

Anyway, I'm kind of excited about this. I was also excited about catching an ovenbird the other day, having never actually seen one before:

20 comments:

PhysioProf said...

Whatever you do, don't ask any of those birds you fuck with constantly to write you a letter!

Good luck!!!!

Seeking Solace said...

You go, girl!!!!!

Alyssa said...

Congrats on your promotion nomination! Good luck with it!

Super Babe said...

That's awesome about your nomination!

ScienceGirl said...

Congrats on the nomination!

Janice said...

That does sound awesome (except for the part about requiring SIX outside letters -- talk about overkill, especially when this is just one step on the upward spiral of promotions).

Rebecca said...

That is so fabulous. And impressive, SCIENTIST, wowwwww. Congratulations and best of luck!

Kendra Leonard said...

Sweet!
Why is it called an ovenbird?

Arbitrista said...

Cause it tastes so good after you bake it, obviously. (Burp)

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Thanks everyone!

K2, please ignore my unhelpful husband. It's called an ovenbird because they build a nest with a lid on top. Like "a bun in the oven," I guess!

TSintheC said...

Well, you have national recognition here, that's for sure!

Congratulations and good luck.

Julia said...

Great, congratulations! And great bird pics!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Great news! Good luck!

Oh, and you already have an international reputation (hello from Canada!)

Maude said...

more yay on all fronts!!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Cool! Congrats and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Sounds exciting!

Belle said...

That bird seems to have really big (oversize?) eyes; or he's just agog with your news! Congratulations!

Addy N. said...

Congratulations! That is truly awesome. I hope the process goes well! I have never seen an ovenbird, either, btw... Cool!

Musey_Me said...

Most fabulous! Glad to see you are finally getting good news back to back!

Mad Chemist Chick said...

Congrats!

It's funny. I used to work at a Big10 school and they had the same ranks. I have had people take issue with me because I list my postdoc there under my official title of "research associate". They act like I am trying to hide something.